SUBMIT TO SAPERE AUDE
FALL 2013 THEME: POWER
Power is the ability to act in a particular way, especially as a faculty or quality. It is the capacity or ability to direct or influence the behavior of others or the course of events. Power is legal or official authority, political or national strength. In physics, power is the amount of energy consumed per unit of time.
Sapere Aude accepts all varieties of submissions, whether they be non-fiction, creative non-fiction, short stories, poetry, plays, screenplays, paintings, drawings, sculptures, music, dance, film, photography, fashion, etc. Below are some examples of how to look at power in the context of a category, utilizing your choice of expression:
Body – What are the capabilities of a body? How can bodies be used to gain power? How is power produced or consumed by a body? In what way does power regulate bodies? In what ways does body have power over the mind?
Mind – How do knowledge and information create power? What are the capabilities of the mind? What about mind-control? In what ways does mind have power over body?
Space & Place – How do places embody power? How does power dictate movement between spaces and places? How is power attributed to a place? Are spaces and places powerful without the existence of human perception?
Death – Is death the ultimate power? How does death limit power or create it? What is more powerful than death?
- Revolution – How do revolutions shift the balance of power? Are all changes in power revolutionary? Is power the catalyst of revolution, or the result?
The first deadline for submissions to Sapere Aude’s Volume 5: “Power” is October 6, 2013. Submissions received prior to October 6, 2013 that are not accepted for publication may be resubmitted with edits for a second review before the final deadline, November 3, 2013. Submissions and resubmissions will be accepted through November 3, 2013.
All categories accept a variety of media—films, photographs, visual art, music, performance, poetry, non-fiction, opinion editorials, essays, screenplays, short stories, gaming, codes etc. Non-fiction word limit is 2000, short stories and screenplays 2500. If you have a type of submission that we haven’t outlined, please talk to us, we want to accommodate new types of submissions.
Accepted file types:
- Photos: .jpeg, .jpg, .png, .gif
- Stories, essays, poetry, text: .doc, .pdf
- Plays & screenplays: .pdfs
- Audio: Soundcloud links
- Videos (films or performances): Vimeo or YouTube links
How to submit to Sapere Aude
- The submission process is blind; our web administrator removes the names before the editors review submissions to eliminate bias.
- You can submit as many pieces as you want per issue. Again, we evaluate blindly, so if it’s all of merit, it will all be published.
- Each submission must include author commentary that briefly explains how the piece addresses the theme as it relates to the chosen category.
- Please note that the author commentary you submit will be published with your submission, if accepted.
Why should you submit?
- Prior publication is important for your resume and C.V. (Curriculum Vitae, what you use to apply to grad school).
- Sapere Aude is a vehicle to showcase your work and share with the community. Possible collaborations from faculty and fellow students could arise once your work appears in a public forum.
- Sapere Aude provides a platform to learn what is required for publishing.